Monday, 10 June 2013

Inspirational Music Videos

What I like



Firstly I don't only enjoy the music video to this song, I like the music. The main element of this music video I like is the fact it is narrative, but also a fun performance too. The whole video has been shot and then reversed which I think is a really fun idea, especially because of the theme of the video: party, gig, out of control etc. So it shows the night as it ended which really captures the audience.
Other parts of the music video I think are good are the props and clothing because they have paid attention to what happens at a party and grabbed together the random props such as the inflatable palm-tree and the cups displaced around the room. Plus like I mentioned earlier about it's editing they have also used a lot of slow motion editing which signifies the idea of alcohol consumption and distorted senses which takes place at parties. In certain parts of the video as well as using slow motion editing they have edited in distorted colours which also help to de-notate alcohol consumption (not in a sober state).


This music video is quite a peculiar one because of the fact it is the same thing throughout: a man dancing to the song in what only looks like a personal style, but has probably been constructed through routine. And what I have just explained is the full reason to why I like this video; it's quirky and really makes you laugh. It is also very clever in how it is actually promoting the band because although they don't appear once in the whole video there music will become well known as 'that video with a guy dancing' and people, especially audiences who don't normally follow this band will want to watch the video and maybe enjoy their music style. 




Firstly this song is quite a 'cute' song and because this video has used children to impersonate what adults do in their daily lives it signifies 'cute' because children normally represent innocence and vulnerable, in other words not yet ready for grown up chores/ lifestyles.
In this music video it is mostly the body language of the children that I like and the props that help to illustrate the idea of them being adults. For example when they both get up and are eating breakfast you see the young boy in a suit and the young girl wearing a decorate necklace. And later when the boy goes to work he enters with a newspaper under one arms and a coffee (presumably) in the other hand. These are all items that signify adulthood and all these microelements help to construct the music video.
Also throughout the music video there are subtitles of what they are saying to one-another and the sentences used really express the decisions that adults make: "what about your eggs?" girl replies "I'm vegan now".
Then right at the end the script has clevery made the two children leave the house gathering and run off to a park which is something slightly older lovers would do to be youthful and spend time together, but because these two actors are young it is placing them back in their 'normal surroundings'.




This song has a very suspense style through out it and the chorus is about breaking out and losing control of yourself which is reflected really well in the whole narrative of the music video. I like the lighting in this music video because it is a key microelement that fits the visuals with the music; it's dark/shadowing and this makes the visuals almost sinister and quite disturbing compared to if it was very bright.  They use editing well because they have used slow-motion to emphasize the violence in the music video and increase the awareness of the audience to the body language of the actor. The props they have used are all constructing the idea of a hotel room; very stylish and fragile which increases the impact of the violence and ties in with the idea of 'loss of control' from the lyrics because you try your hardest not to break anything so delicate and probably expensive especially if it's not your own, therefore through these microelements it connotates that there isn't any self restriction.

No comments:

Post a Comment